Rotary Club of Anthem Grants Scholarships, Taking Applications
Each year, the Rotary Club of Anthem provides $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors from Sandra Day O’Connor and Boulder Creek High Schools to seniors with outstanding achievement. All high school seniors living in the Anthem area are eligible to apply.
The five outstanding winners of the 2012 Rotary Club of Anthem Scholarships have been announced. Four of the scholarship winners are graduates of Boulder Creek High School; Alyssa Angieri, majoring in physiology at the University of Arizona in Tucson; Kendal Brownsberger, studying viticulture and enology at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff; Mollie Kearney, pursuing a nursing career at Arizona State University; and Wes Newell, physiology major at the University of La Verne in La Verne California. Sandra Day O’Connor graduate Christina Totah, is majoring in psychology at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff.
“We were impressed with the commitment each student expressed to their respective career goals after one semester,” observed Scholarship Committee Chair Rick Nollenberger. “Whether they were learning about anatomy or world religions, they all recognized the need for an open, inquisitive mind to meet the challenges required of any academic endeavor.”
Do you know a great teen who deserves a scholarship? Selection criteria include academic performance, service to the community, personal merit and leadership. To qualify for consideration for scholarship, students must meet the following requirements:
• Be a senior at Boulder Creek or Sandra Day O’Connor High School or a high school senior who is a permanent resident in the Anthem area attending another school in the region.
• Be accepted for full-time, post-secondary enrollment in the 2013 fall semester/quarter.
• Have earned a minimum cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
• Not be related to a member of the Rotary Club of Anthem.
• The scholarship committee evaluates applications based on academic merit, community involvement and extracurricular activities. Writing a cogent, concise essay is an integral part of the application process.
Application and additional information can be downloaded online. Complete and mail the application postmarked no later than Friday March 1, 2013.